Informal Requirements


In an informal marriage, two people may agree to be married. After the agreement, they may live together in the state as spouses and represent to others that they are married. A declaration of informal marriage must be signed on a form prescribed by the Bureau of Vital Statistics and provided by the County Clerk. All necessary documents must be submitted to the clerk in person at 201 W. Bridge Street, Granbury, Texas 76048.


Under section 2.402, person under 18 years of age may not:

  • Be a party to an informal marriage
  • Execute a declaration of informal marriage

Additional Regulations

A person may not be a party to an informal marriage or execute a declaration of an informal marriage if the person is presently married to a person who is not the other party to the informal marriage or declaration of an informal marriage, as applicable.

For More Information

For more information about informal marriages, please contact the county clerk's office at (817) 579-3222.